This afternoon we were running a couple last minute errands, and decided that going out to dinner would be a fine idea. It's one of those sticky hot days, mommy doesn't feel up to cooking, and it's just way too easy to have someone else serve us! So we stopped into our local Chili's on the way home.
While the food and service weren't anything extra special, our time together as a family definitely was. I sat across from Scott and Morgan, and watched the way she would rub his back or link her arm through his. Propped up on her booster seat, her head met the perfect part of his arm to lay her head, and occasionally she would take advantage of that. She was making us laugh with her random observations, and making us proud as she flashed smiles and cleaned her plate. This was a special treat for us, and it was so apparent as Morgan would sip water through her straw and beam with pride after every gulp.
As we walked out into the bright sunshine, all adorned in our sunglasses, I mentioned to Scott that this would probably be the last time we ate out as a family of three. We each took one of Morgan's little hands and at her command, swung her in the air all the way to the car.
I'm feeling bittersweet tonight. All I know about parenting is based on the last two years with Morgan, and it's so hard to imagine that someday, the majority of our memories will be as an entire unit, not just as a family of three. The experiences we've shared with her have been amazing, and while we are excited about the anticipation of our newest arrival, our family dynamic is about to change. It's hard for me to fathom right now as this small slice of time in our lives is about to slip away.
A new chapter is about to begin. Ready or not.
last supper
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Such an amazing entry, Rachel. I can only imagine the feelings you have right now before your family changes forever! I know you and Morgan will read this back someday and smile.
Great last paragraph... I was thinking about that last week... what a little slice of time it has been with just Addie... but it is all I know! It will be strange to have that all change.
Your entry made me tear up. So beautiful Rachel, I love your observations. Enjoy this time as a family of 3 and savour every second.
Trust me, you are going to love this new chapter. Maybe not during the first couple of weeks, but you will eventually!
Post a Comment