our new normal: week 7


The week of April 26, 2020

It feels like this sheltering in place has really allowed me to see value more clearly. I've found it easy to retreat and not communicate with people, other than my own family and a few close friends. I've been shying away from group texts, and turning into a genuine homebody. This surprises me as a proud extrovert. But it also shows me all of the people in my life of varying degrees that I really don't need to thrive. I'm sure this sounds inconsiderate, but I'd probably be good on social media with just family (immediate and extended) and a dozen or so friends. In this same vein, I really don't care for half of the TV shows waiting in the DVR queue and could delete them without even watching. No regrets. If I start a book that doesn't hook me in the first couple chapters, I don't feel compelled to finish. I wonder if I'm the only one who feels like this. I also wonder if this clarity is a good quality or if I'm am insensitive jerk. I am starting to understand the appeal of quarantine for introverted Morgan. Who knew.

Enough deep thoughts for this post. Looking back, I'd say it's been a good recovery week. The tears haven't come as often, and each day was marked with progress.

I dug up the stones/slabs around the front maple tree. At one time, they probably looked beautiful, but I thought they called negative attention to our front yard, covered in moss, falling out of place, cracked and holding in compacted, weed-filled soil. Andrew was a huge help. Matthew dressed the part and looked good. I'd like to plant some perennials around the base, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Still need a plan and have to find a place that will sell the flowers and plants I want.

We had a nice bonfire in our new pit on Monday night. Not a working fire, just a marshmallow and smoky-link roasting kind of fire. I look forward to the day when we can have other people over to enjoy it with us.

The laundry room was finished, at least as much as we could do here on our end. Flooring, base moulding and cabinets will come later when Michigan "re-opens".

I also tackled a project that I've wanted to try since we moved in - painting the kitchen back splash tile. For so long it seemed daunting, not knowing what color to chose, what kind of products I needed to be successful. I had done research before, but until a video from This Old House popped into my Pinterest feed, I didn't know it could be so easy. I used a kit with step by step instructions. There were only three colors. Home Depot shipped the kit to me, and in one day, I had transformed the kitchen. What had stood out before in an obnoxious way, now fades into the background. It's lovely.

This has also been a week of preparation.

Scott's doctor called and his knee surgery is still on for May 7. This was quite a surprise, as we assumed elective surgeries weren't happening. [Some backstory here... Scott wrecked every part of his knee playing basketball with our church league back in February.] May 7 seemed like an eternity away when we visited the orthopedic surgeon, and now here we are. Scott admitted to nesting this weekend: washing windows and screens, washing cars, getting the lawn mower fired up for the first time this year. We will know more this coming week about his surgery logistics.

We are scheduled with a landscaper to have our backyard graded and seeded. We've been getting ready for that, digging up plants to keep, making sure bordering areas (like near the garbage cans) are ready to go.

The weather is beautiful this weekend. It might be the first 70 degree day we've had all year. Kids are sunburned. But what a great couple days of fresh air for all of us.

Wildlife sightings this past week:
Eagle! It's been reported there's a pair that live nearby
Groundhog (eye roll)
Skunk
And we have a raccoon that likes to walk across our deck each night. Where is he going? Where is he coming from? Is he so civilized that he needs to use stairs? Stay down in the yard!













0 comments:



Free Counters