It's been a pretty challenging week here.
On Monday, April 20 my grandma met Jesus. It had nothing to do with Covid-19 and everything to do with her declining health. She was 97, and after going to the ER, tests revealed failing kidneys and blood clots throughout her body, as well as one in her aorta. Within 72 hours, she was gone.
I struggled this week with my emotions. In fact, I am surprised at how upset this news made me. My grandma lived a full life and I have no regrets about time spent with her. She was ready for heaven and often asked why she was still here on earth. And yet I was (and still am at moments) incredibly sad.
This isolation has been hard. Six weeks of being home, no travel, missing holidays and birthdays - it takes a toll. And I wonder if this is what makes the tears flow so easily. I also think that of any family that I've lost to date, my grandma has meant the most, and therefore it's been the most difficult to let go. I miss her.
Her funeral was on Friday. There was a 20 person limit inside the funeral home where the service was held and we all wore masks. Sarah came alone. Joel couldn't find a return flight home and ended up watching via the Zoom Meeting I hosted, along with several other family members. I hugged people despite the threat of spreading germs. The pastor came from Our Shepherd and afterward, we drove to Glen Eden. We were given permission to leave our cars and watch her casket be lowered into the ground. A final farewell.
There are lots of things I will remember about my grandma... her traditions and recipes, scalding hot soup with soda crackers, even hotter coffee with cookies, her desire to serve, her reminder to always take the Lord when we departed, and the image of her kneeling at her bedside each night to say her prayers. My grandma was an amazing woman, in in the words of my cousin, Linda, she is now "healthy, happy and home".
Other news this week seems to pale in comparison, but for the sake of record keeping, I'll add these items:
I tackled the laundry room walls which have been disgusting since the week before we moved in when two friends ripped off all of the wallpaper and base moulding. Scott unhooked the washer and dryer on Saturday night and then I got to work. I washed and scraped glue off walls. He filled holes. I sanded, and washed again. I then put Kilz on everything, including the ceiling, trim and doors. Then three coats of paint on the ceiling, three coats of paint on the trim and interior doors, and finally two coats of "On The Rocks" by Sherwin-Williams - the only store from which we were allowed to buy paint during this stay home order. On Saturday night, the appliances were put back in. It was a ton of work, and we're only halfway done. Still to come when life is back to normal... cabinets/storage, new flooring, and base moulding.
Also this week, we had horrible weather. Temps in the 30's and 40's and even some snowflakes really discouraged us from getting outside.
Our seeds started sprouting and that was exciting. I finally moved them outside on Saturday as the forecast promised warmer temperatures.
Andrew had his very first class Zoom meeting and loved it. I hope it becomes a regular thing. His class also did a drive-by birthday parade for a classmate.
our new normal: week 6 and a goodbye
Saturday, April 25, 2020 Posted by Rach at 8:49 PM
Labels: CoronaVirus, family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment