The last seven days have been an interesting blend of chaos and relief.
After being discharged on Thursday afternoon, Scott, Andrew and I came home to reality. With the help of family, Morgan had been cared for and entertained. And they were set to do the same for the three of us as we opened the back door, tired after 36 hours in the hospital.
Meals were set from prep to clean-up, we had fresh laundry, an entertained daughter and a sounding board for all my second-guessing as a second-time mom. Was he eating enough? Latching correctly? How many wet diapers did we have again?
You'd think that having another baby would be like riding a bike. Just pick up where you left off last time. But I had forgotten a few things. Like how I loathe burping. It's essential to a happy baby, one who closes his eyes and sleeps peacefully. And if you don't work hard to get a good, solid belch? Trouble awaits. Gas pains, screams and sleepless nights. Just not fun, and boy, do we know it.
But aside from the learning curve, Scott and I are fascinated to discover all of Andrew's quirks and characteristics. Like how he loves to be curled up on our chests, cozy and warm with his legs tucked up like a little frog. Almost missing that fetal position he mastered for 40 weeks.
In the first few days of life, Andrew squealed like a tea kettle (he's since mastered a nice, full-on scream). And with the exception of his dark hair and the birthmark above his navel, he has all the features that make up Scott and Morgan.
Cuddling into Andrew's softness, I actually realized that Morgan isn't as fragile as I thought. In fact, as I looked in on her one of those first nights home, I found myself amazed at her size, the coarseness of her hair, the way her long legs relaxed across the bed. She's a tough little girl, one who could take a tumble outdoors and recover without too much drama. Almost overnight, she had grown up, right before my eyes.
On Saturday night, Andrew became part of Morgan's bedtime routine when, after prayers, she included him in her round of goodnight kisses. Sunday, she decided it would be okay to hold him.
As much as Morgan is coming around to the idea of a little brother, Scott and I are finding changes in her behavior, things that we anticipated like outbursts for attention. We're still trying to keep a sense of her old routine to keep the peace. Sesame Street remains a daily occurrence with her afternoon snack. On Monday, she and I went to Meijer for groceries, and today, we attended our regular Wednesday MOPS play date for an hour at a local park. Scott makes every effort to play all of their old favorites and make sure that our time as parents is shared between the two.
We're still fumbling our way through this parenting thing as we transition from one to two. And I imagine it will be this way for some time as Scott and I walk around the house like zombies, our eyes half open, nodding off in chairs like old men.
I've had some weepy moments since being home. Feeling overwhelmed with the blessing of a new baby, coupled with the routine of daily life, it's alot to take in. But I've got a great husband who also doubles as a great father. Patience is his specialty. And he's home until September 14th to keep us all grounded.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Andrew changes over the next month. I imagine there will be many comparisons to his sister, yet I'm determined to feature all of his uniqueness, things that we can say are "so Andrew". And so far, he's just that. His own perfect little self.
a week with Andrew
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Vwey thoughtfully written and I, too, look forward to finding us saying: "That's so Andrew"...:):)
Vwey thoughtfully written and I, too, look forward to finding us saying: "That's so Andrew"...:):)
What a little sweetie. Love the pic of Morgan holding him...looking forward to getting a peek myself tomorrow!
"how he loves to be curled up on our chests, cozy and warm with his legs tucked up like a little frog"
*swoon*
Love all of the pictures. What you're going through right now is totally normal and like any phase, things will get better! I know it! Hang in there!
Great post Rach! He is adorable! Next time you are over here, you will have to let me know so I can meet him!
He is adorable Rach!! Congrats again and it does get easier. I found my self the first few weeks after having Kohen, calling the ped's office so many times...I felt like a first time mom. When they are different than your first child it can get tricky. Hang in there!! Congrats again!
He is adorable Rach!! Congrats again and it does get easier. I found my self the first few weeks after having Kohen, calling the ped's office so many times...I felt like a first time mom. When they are different than your first child it can get tricky. Hang in there!! Congrats again!
Oh my. He is adorable. I love how he likes to scrunch up and cuddle. Morgan is a doll holding him and staring down at him.
I hope you guys are settling into a routine. I am sure that as time goes on, you will all be more comfortable and everything will be second nature :)
Post a Comment