wild ride


Our family has been on a rollercoaster since last Thursday when we went to Andrew's weight check and learned of his drastic 1 lb. weight loss. Our pediatrician asked that I put breastfeeding on hold and instead pump and bottle feed Andrew in order to better see what I was producing and what he was eating.

This feeding change caused a drastic upheaval in our household. While I was attached to an electric pump around the clock, Scott fed Andrew and stayed on top of all the extra washing that came along with this change. Morgan, meanwhile, was doing her best to stay entertained in between all this chaos.

During the weekend, we realized several things... that my supply had become dangerously low, that feeding Andrew with a bottle caused projectile spit-up, and that since his birth, he never really did have the concept of breastfeeding down pat.

Out of sheer desperation, I began emailing a local La Leche League woman on Saturday morning. By Monday afternoon, she was making a house call, observing exactly how Andrew nursed. And low and behold, the boy really did know what to do, he just needed Mommy to change up her approach and provide some slight assistance in helping him figure it all out.

On Tuesday afternoon, we were back at the doctor's office to re-evaluate Andrew's weight. And much to our delight, he had put on nine ounces! The pediatrician was thrilled. We now had his blessing to move forward, ditch the bottles for good and establish a daily feeding schedule.

Both my boys are now sleeping much longer stretches. Andrew's got a full belly, and Daddy's no longer the one feeding the liquid gold. Morgan is happy to have more attention, and I'm excited to hammer out a routine.

During all this craziness, a mom friend reminded me of something very important:

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you;
He will never let the righteous fall.
Psalms 55:22

I should have known better!

5 comments:

*~Dani~* said...

That definitely sounds chaotic. I guess we don't often think that a baby doesn't automatically know what to do. So glad that you were able to find help and that everything is getting back to "normal."

Christina said...

I"m glad you got some things figured out and that he is gaining weight. Seeing this picture makes me think he is totally worth all of the craziness!

Amanda said...

Great verse, and so true!

Austin, Melissa, Ethan and Ollie said...

Such a cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

That had to be a stressful time for you. I'm glad to hear you have things under control again. Each little one really is unique, huh? And isn't it wonderful that the Lord takes care of us even when we forget to ask? What a blessing that you had the LaLeche resource to turn to!
Diane from MCC



Free Counters