Several years ago I was a resident of Lansing. I had landed what I considered to be my first "real" full-time, full-benefit job after college. However, it didn't take long for me to realize I was unhappy. I had a strong dislike for my boss and no real roots in that city to keep me grounded. After three short months I was searching for a new job!
But as the months turned into years, I found myself asking God, "How many resumes will it take before I get my ticket out of here?" I felt trapped.
In January of 2004, my little brother by seven years, Joel, transferred to Michigan State University in East Lansing, just 25 minutes from my west-side apartment. He arrived as a transfer student mid-year and was filled with trepidation as he was joining an already established group of guys in the dorm. His anxiety was quite high, and it was clear that his uneasiness about the whole situation was overtaking him. How badly I had wanted to hold his hand for the entirety of the upcoming semester.
I'm not sure if my constant verbal reassurance ever did anything for Joel. We'd meet up to hit balls at the MSU driving range, or grab groceries at Meijer. But he was still cautious. As the end of the semester approached it seemed Joel was doing well.
That summer, Scott and I were married. I left my job. And Joel left behind his worries. He came back to MSU that fall as someone more knowledgeable about campus and classes, and his network of friendships was building. He had left the nest and was actually flying.
It's apparent to me now why I was stuck for so long in that job I despised. God was weaving a plan together that I had no foresight about. The answer to my prayer had been "wait" and while I was growing impatient, God was busy bringing Joel out of high school and into a large, University environment where he needed just a tiny bit of encouragement from his sister down the road.
Five years and two degrees later, Joel graduated from MSU. Yesterday we made the journey to be a part of his commencement ceremony. We looked on with my parents, my grandma and Joel's Kelsey into a sea of green.

What a long way my brother has come. While his head has been filled with knowledge, I feel like his personality has been filled with confidence. As a socialite among close friends and family, Joel has always been a star, but now, even in situations full of unknowns and strangers, I know he will truly shine.
Congrats again, Joely! We love you!



3 comments:
Way to go Joel - wish we could have been there! Welcome to the Spartan Alumni club - you will represent the university well and I know you will succeed greatly wherever you end up.
Your bro-in-law,
Doug
What a great tribute to your brother.
Hey Rach! Im actually leaving you a comment to tell you that you inspired me to write my own blog check it out!
www.denaesmith.blogspot.com
Love you and miss you all the time!!!
Post a Comment