apart again


Merry Christmas to my family across the miles!

Yesterday, Christmas Eve, was a hard day for me. With all of the anticipation of Christmas and time with family, I swallowed hard knowing that I would have to wait a whole week to get my turn. Scott's family party was last night, and his immediate family party is today.

I also learned yesterday that every single member of my family was now celebrating Christmas Eve separately. Joel decided to stay with Kelsey and her family. The change in plans left my parents alone. My grandma's plans were altered. She was alone. Sarah and Doug left Florida this morning. But they are headed straight to his family. And then us. I was missing my own family last night and the traditions that I hold dear.

To get some sort of perspective and put my heart and mind into the true meaning of Christmas, I announced that we would be attending 11:00 p.m. church last night instead of going this morning. I needed that. I needed to go to sleep at the end of the day, anticipating the real celebration. And besides, skipping church on Christmas Eve felt so... sad. I was longing to have something of my family. And this was as close as I could get.

The tears started as soon as the lights were dimmed and the strings, organ and choir began our opening hymn "O, Come All Ye Faithful". Morgan was nuzzled into my neck as Scott was standing by my side. It was beautiful, and I couldn't help but think of each person in my family, across the miles... how did they celebrate Christmas Eve? I knew they all had gone to church. And now it was my turn.

By the end of the service, I realized that we, my family, were all assembled under the same sky, under the same stars and worshipping the same Jesus. And as hard as it was to accept being apart, I knew that in our little corner of the world, we were celebrating the birth of the Christ child, which is the greatest joy.

So today, as we still are apart, know that I love you, I'm thinking of you, and I can't wait to see you. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Karrie said...

You have a great perspective on the fact that though you were apart, you were celebrating together too.

Hope this week flies by for you.

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

That was beautiful. What a beautiful conclusion you came to at the end of it all. I am sure it is hard being away from your family, especially during this time of year, but you are right, you were all worshiping the same King on the same night under the same starry sky. Isn't God good? He gave you the peace you needed :-)



Free Counters