caffiene free

I switched to caffiene free cola when I was pregnant with Morgan, and because there's no difference in price (and not too much in taste), I've stuck with it. On rare occasions, I'll have a regular, full-strength can of soda. Like tonight, when my 12-pack wasn't cold and ready for my straw. So with my freshly popped popcorn, I indulged in 12 ounces of pure caffiene. And here I sit. Awake.

For the past 45 minutes I've been lying in bed revisiting the day's events. What started as bedtime prayers turned into compounding thoughts...

Worship felt flat this morning. Our favorite music man was, I assume, out of town. He and his family are prayerfully considering a call to the Lutheran motherland, Kirkwood, Missouri, and visiting the prospective congregation to learn more. From what I understand he'll have the opportunity to transform the traditional. Say good-bye to your red hymnals, Kirkwood, and get ready to crack a Mac! If he accepts, today will only be a small taste of what's to come until our own church finds someone to fill his talented shoes.

Scott's grandma is in from Texas. We spent the afternoon at his parents' house enjoying the weather and the new Sun Setter awning, along with the company of Grandma. She's in the same place as some other ladies I know... experiencing, for the first time, life and travel as a widow.

On our ride home this evening, we were approaching the busy intersection near our neighborhood and noticed a young boy, maybe 13, crossing the street during our green light. His fingers were in his ears and he was looking absently ahead. I noticed he wasn't in the crosswalk, but instead in the middle of the road. We made our Michigan left and he continued walking southbound in the middle of the traffic lane. I grabbed Scott's cell phone.

"Nine-one-one. What's your emergency."

"Hi. We're at the intersection of [mile road] and [north/south road] and-"

"Are you calling about the wandering boy?"

"Yes, he's walking right in the middle of traffic, and appears to be a special needs child, and he's headed southbound on [road]."

As we ended the call, our car was approaching the boy. Scott was slowing and pulling towards the shoulder.

"I feel like I need to get out of the car."

I called out the window, trying to get his attention and encouraging him to get over on the side walk. Suddenly I was out of the car, nearing him. He was panicked. Cut knees and shins. Dirty face. Scott put the car in park and he, too, got out.

The boy was receptive to Scott and sat on the curb of this busy road. As Scott tried to ask him questions about his name and address, a young man emerged from the black Ford Escape that had stopped with us. His female companion stayed in the car as he got out to talk to me, and we spoke nervously about the unfolding events until the police arrived.

The two officers didn't stop to ask any of us questions. Instead I nervously mumbled a bunch of stuff about how we found the boy, and they continued to the curb. Scott stood there with the officers and the scared boy as I watched from a distance. They asked if his name was Conner. As he rocked back and forth, he repeated, "Conner". But that's the only understandable thing he muttered.

Scott was asked for his name, address and phone number and we got the "We're all set here. Thanks." And we drove away.

Debriefing in the car, Scott told me that it was his impression that this child had been missing for 24 hours. The officers had said things within earshot of Scott like, "looks like him" and "24 hours" and "does this sound like the description?"

I was still really edgy on the way home, and Scott and I continued to hash out the information as we walked into the house. This boy has been on my mind all night. I have been praying for his safety, for his family and for his health. I'll never know what happened to Conner, but it's my hope that there's a happy ending.

And so the clock on our desktop has just changed from PM to AM. Midnight is here. And in order to have a quality day tomorrow, it's time to give sleep a second chance. Maybe this time with some peace of mind.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I couldn't sleep last night either :( Glad you helped the boy :) And I hope there was a happy ending you just haven't heard about.

Now I feel like popcorn.

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

I drink caffeine free pop too, haven't had a regular one in forever. I am also a diet drinker! :-) I am totally craving popcorn too now, thanks a heck of a lot Rach!

Where do you go to church? So sad your music man is leaving. I would be so devastated if our worship changed! We've had a few changes, but nothing that has really changed the dynamic of our worship thank goodness!



Free Counters