re-entry into motherhood


I'm back. And I feel new.

I suspected this would be the case, that I'd return from the annual MOPS Convention feeling recharged and energized about my role as wife, mother, Christ-follower. Surrounded by thousands of other women who daily walk the same journey of motherhood was an open invitation for allowing ourselves to be vulnerable. It was safe. We could exist among one another without judgement, without justification for our mothering choices, without defense for anything. We sang, we soaked in our surroundings. We shared fellowship, tears and smiles. We were learning not only to better ourselves as mothers of preschoolers, but how to walk alongside other moms. Emotions were spilling out in every corner of that place, free flowing and all the better for it.

(Men? This wasn't exactly the place for you. In fact, we took over your restrooms.)

The highlights for me were performances by Mandisa, Christy Knockles and The Katinas, a workshop about keeping our kids from failing spiritually, plus quality time spent with the eleven other ladies from our MOPS group. It was an amazing trip.

Here we are on the last night with our group-identifying orange scarves. We got crazy at put them on our heads for a final picture with the new year's theme logo behind us: Mom-ology - The Art and Science of Mothering.




















This morning at the airport I was greeted with mile-wide smiles and hugs so tight my eyes let go if their tears. It was good to be home. And at the same time, I noticed a few things upon my return:

* Keeping the house at 75 degrees is an OVEN. My body will need to readjust after being inside cool Florida A/C.

* I am singing. A lot. All of the worship songs we praised God with at Convention are in my head and spewing out of my mouth. This is quite opposite from the Veggie Tales tunes that couldn't escape my brain on the flight to Orlando.

* Scott is appreciative of my return. "Isn't it nice to have Mommy home with us?" he asked Morgan this evening. On my dresser, I found an anniversary gift: loads of sugary treats and an equally sweet card to go with it. Candy is the traditional 6-year anniversary gift.

* Morgan seems to have matured before my eyes. Or maybe after five days with Daddy she's just picking up Scott's little phrases and quirks. She giggled the whole way home.

* Andrew is quicker, smarter and happier than I remember! He didn't stop smiling all afternoon. It melted my heart.

* God is at work more than ever. I'm so aware of His presence today as I reach for my new "Be Still" necklace, hum a praise to Him, and reflect on everything I learned at Convention.

I've already got the dates for next year's event penciled on the calendar of my mind, and I'm looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds wonderful Rach! Can't wait to hear more.

Aunt Sue M..... said...

Thrilled for you Rachel. God is good.

Diane from MCC said...

Certainly was uplifting for you Rach. I'd like to find something like that for my life situation! Sounds awesome!



Free Counters