I've been waiting to reveal the details of Morgan's new room until it was 100% complete, however, I'm realizing that it could take months before I really have a room that's entirely finished. Accessorizing is hard. And I've always been a commitment-phobe about wall decor. So instead, you get to read and see everything you ever wanted to know (and probably more) about the transformation of Morgan's new room... as it stands so far. And you can even weigh in after reading about my decorating dilemma's below. Please!

That move started the makeover process, and slowly over the next four weeks, we were able to transform that very small room into one that's just right for a big girl.
And here, today, is Morgan's new bedroom. The dresser sits to the left of the closet in a little nook along that same wall. And that bedding came from an online-only store. After months of shopping around, I took the leap and bought it blindly. Just one small picture was all I had to go on, and it wasn't going back, not with a $10 shipping fee and a $10 re-stocking fee. Thankfully it was just what I imagined.
Here it is in the room. The big challenge here was finding drawer pulls that not only fit the two separate measurements, but also looked good together. The top drawers have 2.5 inch pulls and the bottoms are 3 inch pulls. Total cost for the "new" dresser was $20.

Above the dresser hangs another deal. I discovered this mirror at a church rummage sale just a week ago and paid only $3. After a $3 can of spray paint, the total cost was just $6. Scott was unsure at first, seeing only the tacky, brassy finish. But after the paint job, I think it looks great, tying in the brushed nickel hardware from the dresser. And Morgan loves looking at herself!
Still needed are a dresser scarf (as my Grandma B calls them) and possibly another lamp. Or maybe just something three-dimensional to give a little height? Other than a piggy bank, that is. Again, calling all those gifted with accessorizing!

There are still two large empty walls, plus the space to the right of the closet. Should we stick with the less-is-more-philosophy in this situation? Leave them empty? Wait to see if something strikes me in the coming months?
And finally, here's Morgan's favorite addition to her new room, the step stool. This cheapie from Target (bought on sale, no doubt) grants her so much independence that she'd be lost at this point without it. "Morgan do it!" she demands for everything from turning on the light, climbing into bed and grooming in the mirror.
In many ways, she's like me. Change is challenging for my little gal. But with just six weeks to go in this pregnancy, I'm thrilled that Morgan is moved in and well on her way to being completely adjusted.

















6 comments:
Looks great Rach! I am not brave enough to paint furniture!
Love it, Rachel! And I think you should paint the headboard white. :)
AS for decorating, have you ever browed etsy.com? Cute stuff, with many opportunities to have things custom-made. Prices vary depending on the seller, but you could find some good deals. And then there's Hobby Lobby - do you have one near you? There's lots of frou-frou stuff, but you can find some cute things for cheap (either on sale or with their coupon in the Sunday paper or on their website). Anyway, just some ideas to throw your way.
Looking forward to seeing you - and everyone! - on Sunday.
By the looks of the last picture, Morgan definitely looks adjusted!
Love the new room! I am the worst at making decisions so I can't offer advice on your questions. If only there were only two choices for everything!
It has taken me days to comment on this because I was trying to come up with some ideas and I am at a blank still. Grrr. I will scour the internet some more. I do think it needs a few more accessories/decorations but overall? Adorable!
I love the picture of Morgan in the mirror.
P.S. I agree about painting the headboard white. And good job Scott on the nightstand!
The room looks great Rach. You might want to save some of that wall space for Morgan's future framed artwork.
Patti and I thought painting the headboard white might wash out the bed linens, but the white would look nice next to the bedstand. Many decisions to make!
Diane
Post a Comment