sold!


After this didn't sell last spring at our garage sale, I posted it on Craig's List all summer long. One buyer wanted me to reduce the price by $100, but I held firm and didn't hear another word.

My ad expired long ago, and I hadn't bothered re-posting, figuring it was a lost cause. We continued using the two dressers in our bedroom (and continued pushing around the headboard and footboard between the garage and the basement).

Out of the blue last weekend, I received an email from someone interested in the same antique bedroom set. How did she know it was for sale? Turns out, the inquiry came from the sister of the interested buyer mentioned above.

The sister walked in our house on Tuesday night and five minutes later threw down some large cash. The muscles came back last night to pick it up, and now it's gone. Just like that.

For some reason I have a tiny feeling of guilt about the sale. It wasn't a family heirloom. I have no special attachment to that furniture. And it certainly wasn't in pristine condition. Still... I have an odd twinge of sadness about the whole thing.

Why do we get attached to certain "stuff"? Usually I'm one to organize and purge everything in site. This time it just didn't feel the same. Maybe because there's not something perfect lined up to go in it's place? Maybe because I know we'll be temporarily using some 1980s oak, brass-handled, colonial-style dressers that I thought for SURE would never see the light of day from our basement. Not my first choice.

But on the bright side, there's possibilities in the future. And new money to make it happen.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad she came through for you!

*~Dani~* said...

What a pleasant surprise! Although it wasn't a family heirloom, I can understand the sadness.



Free Counters