Dear Morgan,
Today is your first birthday. I am amazed when I stop and think about where the last 12 months have gone, and all the transformations that have taken place with you and in our household.
Just three days after your birth, I had written about how much you were like Daddy…
Not only does she look like him, but she seems to have inherited his best qualities... she's not too terribly fussy when things don't go her way, she's incredibly patient and understanding, and she loves to sleep!
Wow. I can hear the laughter now. While you still share many of Daddy’s physical attributes and continue to love sleeping, I have to say, your emotions are all Momma. You have turned patience into demands. When your favorite nesting cups are out of reach, you yelp instead of making the effort. And when that doesn’t work, you move on to something else that’s more convenient… the carpet, your fingers… anything that keeps you entertained. You love to be praised. Our resounding words of affirmation bring you so much joy. An enthusiastic “Yay!” or “Good job, Morgan!” prompts mile-wide smiles and full-on laughter. At the same time, when Daddy and I say, “No touch” or “All done”, your heart breaks into a million pieces. Everything, and I mean everything, is a big deal. You certainly are the Divine Miss M.
Not only does she look like him, but she seems to have inherited his best qualities... she's not too terribly fussy when things don't go her way, she's incredibly patient and understanding, and she loves to sleep!
Wow. I can hear the laughter now. While you still share many of Daddy’s physical attributes and continue to love sleeping, I have to say, your emotions are all Momma. You have turned patience into demands. When your favorite nesting cups are out of reach, you yelp instead of making the effort. And when that doesn’t work, you move on to something else that’s more convenient… the carpet, your fingers… anything that keeps you entertained. You love to be praised. Our resounding words of affirmation bring you so much joy. An enthusiastic “Yay!” or “Good job, Morgan!” prompts mile-wide smiles and full-on laughter. At the same time, when Daddy and I say, “No touch” or “All done”, your heart breaks into a million pieces. Everything, and I mean everything, is a big deal. You certainly are the Divine Miss M.
I often wonder if your personality has anything to do with the fact that you still are not crawling. Daddy and I have modeled crawling, we have formed your legs into the crawling position, we have kept toys out of reach thinking they would entice you to move, we have tried everything. And you hold firm, refusing to even budge.
Somehow, though, you have allowed a bit of learning to creep into your strong-willed brain. This winter you started learning sign language. It seems almost every week you add a new sign to your repertoire. Eat, more, done. Book, bath, sleep, shh. Clapping, waving, even saying “Eye, Dee Dee!” which translates to “Hi, Daddy!” And of course, as Miss Independent, you want to walk everywhere. You’ll use anything to make yourself mobile around the living room… the step from the kitchen, the Huggies box, the couch, chair or ottoman.
I’m very proud that you’ve already developed a love of reading. Or at least page-turning. Certain books grab your attention more than others. You love Paul and Judy in Pat the Bunny and also enjoy the Baby Einstein Mirror Me book. We’ve started weekly visits to the library and bring home five new books each time. Those “new” books become your pride and joy (and our quiet distraction in the pew on Sunday morning).
Lately you seem to have a fascination with shoes. You’ll sit at the bottom of your closet and open and close the Velcro straps of the black Mary Jane hand-me-downs. You’ll point out Mommy’s shoes until I let you have a closer look. And after naps, as we change your diaper, you like to tap your two soft-soles together, just like Daddy taught you.
I am hopeful that your musical inclination sticks. Your dance moves still leave quite a bit to be desired, but girl, you’ve got rhythm! Not only do you bob your head to the music I play for you at home, but I’ve seen the stroller shake in the middle of Old Navy as you groove to the funky notes broadcast overhead. You never cease to amaze us.
I am hopeful that your musical inclination sticks. Your dance moves still leave quite a bit to be desired, but girl, you’ve got rhythm! Not only do you bob your head to the music I play for you at home, but I’ve seen the stroller shake in the middle of Old Navy as you groove to the funky notes broadcast overhead. You never cease to amaze us.

The past year was filled with many firsts… your first ride on the pontoon, first trip on a plane, not to mention all the holidays. You embraced each as ordinary, sleeping through the boat ride, and presenting yourself as the perfect plane passenger. With the exception of our excessive holiday photos, those celebrations, too, were commonplace for you.
Of the many changes, there are several things that have remained constant. I’ve mentioned your love of sleep often, and we are so thankful that you’ve slept twelve hours every night like clockwork since you were just eight weeks old! I am glad you feel safe and confident as you drift off to slumber at night. All it takes for you is your fleece Pooh blanket up at your face, and a paci popped in your mouth. Even the annual time changes have not affected your desire for shut-eye. And you always greet us so happily when you wake.
Your enormous smile continues to beam daily. You always flash a grin at Daddy when he walks through the door at night. I love observing you two play. There’s just something about your quality time with Daddy that doesn’t translate when Mommy tries the same games. Nonetheless, it’s encouraging to know that you two share a connection I cannot touch. The importance of that for me is priceless.
Since the day you were born, Morgan, you have been the light of our lives. That has not, and never will change. You will always be our first-born, that special daughter who taught us about parenting and shifted the view in a way we could never have imagined.
When I was pregnant with you, a co-worker tried to explain the feeling of motherhood. She said I would experience affection for you that I’d never had before. At the time, I could only imagine such emotion. Today I know those feelings. And I know that love.
When I was pregnant with you, a co-worker tried to explain the feeling of motherhood. She said I would experience affection for you that I’d never had before. At the time, I could only imagine such emotion. Today I know those feelings. And I know that love.

We thank God for you, Morgan Grace, and all of the blessings that He has sent through you. Daddy and I love you dearly. Happy Birthday, my sweets.
Love,
Momma
Love,
Momma









7 comments:
How sweet :)
Happy Birthday Morgan!!
Happy Birthday and what a sweet post!
Happy Birthday Morgan!!!!
Say, Kevin, Katie, Gavin, Anne Hope. Time Flies!!!
Happy First Birthday, Morgan!
Love, Aunt Sue and Uncle Keith (the greats, that is)
What a sweet post!! Happy Birthday Morgan!
Precious! It brought tears to my eyes!
This post made me cry! It's so bitter-sweet.
Post a Comment