Last week at this time, I was sitting here at work with a nervous pit in my stomach, feeling anxious about sharing a bit of heavy news with my boss. I dawdled for three hours before summoning up the courage to share my plans of resignation. To finally say what I had been thinking about for nearly three months was a huge relief. On October 12th, I will be going from full-time Event Coordinator to full-time Mom!
The decision didn't come easy. In fact, I went back and forth for quite some time about what to do. I enjoy my job, my boss and (most of ) the people I work with. I think it's rare to wake up in the morning, Monday through Friday, and actually look forward to getting out of bed. I know lots of people who dread that alarm, and not just because they crave another hour of sleep. Having a boss who respects you, appreciates your work and tells you so on a daily basis is a rarity, and one that I will miss.
Also in the back of my mind was a feeling of permanence about quitting. Would I work again? When? Would I ever find such a great job, or am I throwing away everything? I realized that none of that matters right now. Quit planning every moment of your life, Rachel! I should wait and cross that bridge when I come to it, not any sooner. Who's to say that I won't get called back to my job around peak event times for a few extra hours of work? Or maybe when I am ready to return to the workforce someday, I'll land another great position. Something else that I need to remember is that it's not all about me... I have no idea how God is using me in the lives of my co-workers or others around me, and He'll put me where He wants me on His watch (umm... can you say stuck in Lansing for 2.5 years???).
Financially, this will be a test, but it's one that I'm prepared to pass with flying colors. I truly believe that God's going to show us how awesome He is. I know that all things are possible with Him, even bridging a financial gap. Pinching pennys will get old pretty fast, but I'm excited about being able to share what God is doing for our family. It requires turning over control, something that's very difficult for me to do, but I'm putting my faith in Him, and as someone told me a few months ago, He won't disappoint!
Life changed once Morgan was born. My plans of the ideal daycare and great job were thrown out the window after meeting our new baby. And so with much prayer, thought and consideration, Scott will grab my hand once again and take this leap of faith with me.
I look forward to my future of coordinating events of a different kind... which day is best for laundry? Grocery shopping? Will Morgan and I go for a walk to the library or visit daddy at work? Should we get together with some friends, or play alone, just the two of us? And so even though my new boss can't quite speak, she smiles and laughs with me every day, and her eyes twinkle with love for me. No job is better than that.
resignation
Friday, September 14, 2007 Posted by Rach at 7:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
HE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT. Words that I live by.
Great job on taking the leap, Rach. And notice how I said "job". It has been a lot of work to come to this conclusion and I am proud of you for standing so firmly by your feelings.
Lots of prayers and thoughts go out to your family.
~E
what a GREAT and wonderful thing you are doing for your family and your daughter! you are going to have a blast being a full-time mom - i am really happy for you!!!
Congrats on your decision and the eloquent way in which you "blogged" your feelings! As someone who stayed home with my kids, and very gradually got back into the workforce, I can tell you that you won't regret your decision. And it IS amazing to see how God provides for you, even on a tighter budget! Let the journey begin!
Post a Comment