missing you

Last night I was at Grandma B's house after work. We had a nice dinner at our fave Chinese place, and then came back to get the Christmas tree up. She's had an artificial tree for a couple years now... getting a real one is her wish, but she knows it's difficult and takes more care. So we assembled her tree, and I strung the lights and put the angel on top. It looks nice in the corner window and glows beautifully, even from Rochester Road.

While Grandma B and I have a special relationship (that I don't think would have been created with my Grandpa B still around), it's times like last night when I realize how much I miss both of my grandpas.

I can see how the absence of my grandpas affects their wives... driveways don't get shoveled completely, furniture isn't rearranged as often, jobs that are typically "male" get completed by sons or sons-in-law (or granddaughters). But while I miss Papa and Grandpa dearly, I know that I wouldn't have the opportunity to know my grandmothers the way I do now. These are wise ladies, as their husbands were, and I cherish all the time spent with them.

Grandpa B and me (1982)

Grandpa M and me (1995)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

November and December are tough times of the years for both Grandmas (and for the rest of us)

Anonymous said...

Such a good reminder (and thank you for making me cry!):)

Anonymous said...

Wow!Your dads right The winter months are hard on grandma. but thats why were here.An yes i cried too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rachel, I am crying too. It is also rough on the extended family when we love them soo much.

Mary



Free Counters