one nation


Our neighborhood seems to be a fireworks frenzy every year. Starting in June, many people take to their driveways after dark and create a whole lot of light and noise, launching loud explosives. As the 4th of July approaches, the booms increase and so does the anxiety in one little boy here at home. Night after night we combat his fears with assurance, songs, prayers and patience. 

Last night was no exception. His request is usually that one of us lay with him on his bed for a few minutes. So I obliged, and as I listened to each of the blasts there in the dark, I couldn't help but think about other children throughout the world whose soundtrack every single day includes such noises. Not from fireworks, though, but sounds of war. Bombs, gunshot, artillery. Families enduring not just the noise, but fear of their own lives being taken. 

Here in the land of the free, we take for granted all that we have. All that God has blessed us with. Today we remember the independence of our country. The freedoms that have been fought for, and continue to be protected, by men and women serving us. So as we enjoy our celebrations, the light-hearted parties with food and fun, I think it's important to remember what freedom really means and the expense it took to acquire.



0 comments:



Free Counters