the tree

The storybook adventure of cutting down our family Christmas tree has been beat out by practicality again this year. And I gotta say, I don't really mind. Our Fraser Fir is softer, cheaper and closer than the U-Cut trees we've had in the past.

Three little kids to keep track of, a husband who is putting in overtime at work, and a rainy forecast were all the reasons I needed to confirm that a trip to Home Depot was the clear winner, not a 25 mile one-way drive to the nearest tree farm. And once we arrived? At one point I was walking the stroller in circles to get Matthew to sleep, Morgan and Andrew were down another aisle discussing the "snake" (corrugated 6" drain tubing) and Scott was among the bundled trees, attempting to slice open the nets with his keys.

Joy to the world.

But in the end, we found this year's winner without too much digging. And we did have joy there in between the rain drops. We ended our adventure with a surprise doughnut stop, a perfect accompaniment for the hot chocolate that was promised back at home. 


















As we sat around the table, I began to get my Christmas spirit back. It felt good to have anticipation again for something special. 

Scott was goofing around with the kids, pretending to feed Matthew his long john doughnut while perched on his lap. They were giggling and enjoying our time as a family. And so was I. 

This morning was everything I needed.


This year's tree was courtesy of the folks at Slocum Farms in Hart, Michigan. 
Thank you, 10-second camera timer, for such an awesome picture of my family. 

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love it! So great to see so many smiles!

k.meyering said...

We did the same thing yesterday, too! Gotta love Home Depot...



Free Counters