I've found myself surprised lately about how full our calendar has been this summer. As a mother to a preschooler and a toddler, I mistakenly assumed that the majority of our days during these warm months at home would be spent in the yard, playing on the swingset, standing at the water table, chalking the driveway and cruising around the block.
Instead we've been on the go nearly every weekday morning, linking up with friends at the park, running errands or borrowing more books from the library. There hasn't been much opportunity for boredom to set in as we scurry home from our morning's adventure to eat lunch and then settle in for quiet and nap time. The kids have enjoyed our random playdates and the newness that each day brings.
But combined with weekend plans, summer travel, book club hosting and MOPS responsibilities, there isn't much time to be free. At least for me. I've been compelled to use my down time to play catch up. And clearly blogging hasn't been a priority.
So what have we been up to these days?
Well, there was the wedding of Scott's college roommate. Fun night out that brought back memories. And what a treat to see the groom so full of joy.
The Independence Day weekend was enjoyed in and around St. Louis. I've spent my life traveling to the motherland every three years to be reunited with dear family, and as is tradition, we attended for my eleventh time. While every road trip is quantified by how long it takes to get to Grandma M's (because "that's a really long trip, Mommy"), the kids did fairly well being trapped in the van, occupied with a handful of DVD's on a player loaned from a friend, a pile of books and other random toys.
It's different attending as a parent to young children, but farm life on the original homestead kept Morgan and Andrew busy, despite the intense heat. And as I've mentioned before HERE and HERE, our time together as a family is cherished. We visit as if it's been days, not years.
Most recently was a bridal shower for Kelsey. Morgan and I attended while the boys stayed at home. After driving home from St. Louis just three days earlier, this jaunt to the west side was a breeze and put things in perspective!
We had a delightful afternoon with delicious food and good company. And of course, celebrating Joel and Kelsey's pending nuptials. With only one brother, this is a first for our family - weddings, and all that go with them, are much different when you're on the groom's side. But Kelsey and her family have been nothing short of wonderful and we are looking forward to their special day.
2 comments:
Looks like crazy, busy, perfect, summer, fun! I too have been slightly overwhelmed with how busy our calendar looks this summer when I was anticipating bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and pressing flowers in the back yard;), but the kids are loving the activity too. Loved your comment about the pack and play. Gibson is a little peanut. In fact, Gabe is the same size as him. We brought the pack and play for Gabe, but Gibson was most comfortable in there b/c that is his space. For now it still works for us...thank goodness!
Nice recap! Feeling lazy yet? I hear the weather is as bad there as it is here in the summer. I know it zaps my energy these days! Enjoy another busy weekend ahead!
Post a Comment