When I suggested some ideas for Halloween costumes last month to Morgan, she jumped at the chance to be a ladybug. So I then went to the world wide web in search of some DIY instructions on just how to come up with a homemade ladybug and found this tutorial. Easy, inexpensive, perfect!
The cardboard idea stewed around in my brain for a while and I thought felt would be a softer, more comfortable costume. And the idea of painting? Nah. Plus where would I store a cardboard costume for future use?
Except for the overall concept (two ovals tied together), the online instructions became obsolete. Before I knew it, I was buying red and black felt, matching thread, grosgrain ribbon and some batting. What follows here is a step-by-step show-and-tell of my latest adventure with sewing. For the first time ever, I had an almost flawless experience with my machine (operator error) and I was beaming. Just ask Scott.
I used an old paper bag to cut an oval-shaped pattern.
Made sure the size worked for Morgan, then pinned two thicknesses...
sew proud
...and cut. This is the front of the costume.
Repeated with the red felt (two thicknesses) and made it slightly larger.
The red ovals are for the back of the costume.
Freestyled a black strip of felt to show the division of the "wings".
Also cut out three pairs of circles, varying in size (no pic of those yet).
Plus I cut batting to go between the layers in the same size ovals.
Then I sewed that black strip on just ONE of the red felt ovals. Oh, and here's my set-up in the basement laundry room. Looks cramped, but I loved it. I had the top of the freezer and washing machine as extra surface space, great fluorescent lighting and - best of all - the ability to close the door and leave my mess!
And so I digress. Back to sewing! First the black wing divider.
Remember, this is on just ONE layer of the red oval. ONE!
Then I sewed the circles (not pictured above).
I was having so much fun sewing on this felt, it was so easy! And going so well. This isn't usually my track record with the sewing machine, so I was pumped. Plus I was jamming to some TobyMac, Charlie Hall and Kerrie Roberts. I was in the zone!
So it didn't matter that my circles weren't perfect, I was having too much fun. As long as they were attached in a circular fashion, that's all that mattered.
Ta da! Started to resemble a ladybug.
Here's a quick shot of the ladybug layers:
Inside was the plain, red felt.
Middle was the four-ounce batting cut to the same size.
Top was the ladybug wings with circles already sewn.
Make sense?
Next up was attaching the ribbon. This happened on the plain, INSIDE layer. Four ribbons sewn on the red felt oval, four sewn on the black felt oval. Two at the shoulders and two at the waist of each. Again, I did a test run on Morgan to make sure they were placed appropriately.
I was sure to place the waistline ribbons further in, so that the "shell" of the costume stays straight, instead of wrapping her up like a taco.
Time to put all three layers together.
Sewed around the perimeter of the oval, sandwiching the batting in between.
Confession: I sewed one of the ribbons into my seam! But that was the only mistake of the entire project and only cost me five minutes to rip an inch seam and start again. Whew.
Then opened the seam and carefully cut out the batting. Repeated for the set of black ovals.
Made a second pass around the perimeter, concealing the batting altogether.
Notice the ribbons far, far out of the way.
Repeated for the black ovals.
Andrew made a guest appearance after his nap courtesy of Daddy (who didn't want to be photographed).
And I had finished just in time. Here it is! Morgan refused to model.
Guess you'll have to see the real deal after I snap pictures on Sunday night.
Now what ladybug costume would be complete without the appropriate headwear? Thanks to one of the vast dollar stores in the world, we picked up a bag of pom poms and pipe cleaners. Combined with a little hot glue, we were in business.
I covered one of Morgan's headbands that she rarely wears with scrap felt.
Glued on one side, then the other
Wrapped on the pipe cleaners
Morgan is pleased!
Hoping that all my hard work for Morgan pays off. That's she's happy, comfortable and thrilled to be a sweet little ladybug.
Andrew, you ask? He's going to be a Dalmation. A warm, cozy, cute, five dollar Dalmation from my favorite Mom to Mom sale. Can't beat that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Adorable, Rachel! I wish I had the patience for such a project!
You should post this on DIY!!
It turned out great! Go girl!!
What a fantastic sewing job. I'm very impressed with your DIYness:) It looks adorable on Morgan in the Halloween pictures too.
Great job Rach!
Post a Comment