I want a house like I want that clearance side table from Target that sits on the back end-cap of the aisle. It's deeply discounted and waiting for just the right person to come along. The red sticker makes it so very tempting and yet, I restrain myself, knowing it's not the right time.
There's a two-story colonial that I've been eyeing ever since I saw the For Sale By Owner signs popping up on the street corners last month. It's just three streets over from ours and sits at the end of a cul-de-sac on a very quiet, very beautiful street. The yard is pie-shaped, very large and backs up to a wooded lot. The backyard alone makes me drool. I imagine it's like every other colonial in the area: four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a living room plus a family room, an eat-in kitchen plus a formal dining room, a basement and two-car garage.
On that same street today was an estate sale. Morgan and I stopped. While browsing the stacks of aluminum pans and glass dishware in the back of the garage, I learned that the estate sale home sold for $5000 less than what we paid for our cozy brick ranch four years ago. The estate sale home is eight houses down from my current dream home and is an exact replica. I asked one of the family members today if they knew the asking price of my dream home. They did. It's only $20,000 more.
Four years ago, my dream home was $80,000 to $100,000 out of our price range. Today it's only $20,000. Oh it hurts. It's like the red clearance sticker, calling out to me. I don't want to pass up the sale, I don't know if or when another deal will come around again. Someone else might come along before we're ready and beat me to it.
But it's not the right time. We're not in a position to move, nor do we NEED to move. There's just something about rock-bottom prices that are so hard to resist. Why do I even look?
"Be still and know that I am God."
Pslam 46:10
on sale now!
Thursday, July 31, 2008 Posted by Rach at 2:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yesterday I officially felt the pain of the market when I listed my home at 60K - only 80K less than what I bought it for!
Cousin Kevin
We looked into listing our house and it would list 3k less than what we bought it for 6 years ago:(
oh well still the best investment.
That has to be so hard! :-(
I hear you! Jeff and I love to browse the listings and now and then we get excited about the prospect, but "it's not the right time." There will be a right time, eventually!
Post a Comment