may days


The school year is coming to a close for Morgan and Andrew, and MOPS is formally done for Matthew and I. How can this be? I thought we just started?

Andrew had many fun events in preschool this month: field day, Mom's Day, the Spring Concert, a nature center field trip (on a real school bus, no less), and a fantastic final day of school just last Friday. I loved spending time alone with him.




















































It's hard to take stock in the final days. With all of the activity, there isn't much room to really absorb the moments. But as Andrew bounced into the classroom on that last morning, the lump formed in my throat at the very same time his happiness bubbled over to his teachers. His proud proclamation of the gifts he bore could be heard into the hallway. He presented his teachers with homemade cards, and gifted them with My Bus by Byron Barton, a memorized story he shared with his classmates just a few days prior... A book that gave Andrew center stage. A book that - because of the spontaneous, individual invitation of his teacher - affirmed his worth in that moment. I couldn't have been happier with his year in Preschool 4.


Morgan's last couple weeks have been no less hurried and filled with fun. The lower grades performed "The Three Piggy Opera" and put on quite an entertaining show. The school's annual Walk-A-Thon was a success. Scott and I participated this year, although we didn't see much of Morgan as she was running around with friends, munching on doughnut holes. First grade had an end-of-year Fun Day. And then it was suddenly the last day of school. Earlier than most, May 30. (We have nice long hours every day to thank for that, as well as the elimination of silly half-days for in-services, etc.) The boys and I attended the Closing Chapel Service where Andrew volunteered to participate in front of the whole school during the principal's message.




































Last day of school!












































First grade was full of firsts: staying full-day, lunch in the cafeteria, reading chapter books, making a new friend, and utilizing the drop-off and pick-up line. It has been exciting to watch Morgan stretch herself in new situations.

0 comments:



Free Counters