Scott and I are now parents of a kindergarten graduate. Doesn't seem possible, but on Thursday night, Morgan, along with her classmates, officially graduated from Grade K.


Her moment, being congratulated by the principal and then her teacher.
And then it was time for the after-party, kindergarten style.
Guess who loved the cake and punch?
(Matthew was home sleeping, thanks to a baby-sitter friend.)
Morgan's teacher has such a heart for her students. Not only did Mrs. C's mom host the reception, her dad put together an amazing, personalized video, highlighting the past year and interviewing each child about things like "what makes a good friend?" and "what should every preschooler know before they come to Kindergarten?" I can't wait to get our own copy next week.
As we gathered around the smart board to watch the video, the room grew silent and emotion started creeping in. And then in the middle of the video, from one of Morgan's classmates, an announcement: "Mrs. C is crying!"
In that same moment, my eyes were tear-filled, too. It was then that, while photos of our children were fading in and out, this text appeared on the screen, voiced over by a fellow kindergartener:
I've worked with your flowers and helped them to grow.
I'm returning them now but I want you to know
These flowers are precious and dear as can be
Love them, take care of them, and soon you will see...
what I saw...
I saw bright new blooms every day
That grew and blossomed in such wonderful ways.
In September just buds, but in January, blooms.
Now lovely blossoms I return to you this June.
Remember these flowers as dear as can be
Though rightfully yours, will always in part, belong to me!
Kindergarten was a new journey of independence for Morgan. And another moment in parenting where we stepped back and did our best to let her lead. Being more disconnected from the classroom was strange at first - there was no one-way mirror like preschool, no way to peek in on her. But it didn't take long to realize that was okay.
Our school is full of loving teachers. We have an amazing principal. And with a solid foundation already in place, we were comfortable walking away every day after taking the stroll together down the long hall to her classroom door (but not a foot inside the room to help at her cubby, per her request). And then this spring, doing the drop-off line, alone from our van into her school-world.
With each milestone comes growth and independence. In order for those things to flourish, it's important that Scott and I continue to let go, little by little. Because someday, sooner than we think, Morgan will want -and need - to do more than stand on her own two feet with us nearby. She will do it alone... and decide where her feet should take her. If they should run or walk. Go on the rocky trail or steep hill. Turn right or left.
Big sigh. The letting go is difficult.
For now we will enjoy the moment. We are proud parents, true.
How could you not be proud of this?
Farewell, Kindergarten. It's been an awesome year.

0 comments:
Post a Comment