After doing a load of laundry, baking brownies and playing in the basement, we made an impromptu trip to the store. Andrew's shoes were on and I was looking for mine. Ever multi-tasking, I said, "And let's see, I need my coupons and my purse and... " I think out loud.
Enter Andrew.
He had found some random coupons sitting near the television - check. And then located my purse near the couch. Slid it on his wrist - check. Way to be prepared, Buddy!
It made me smile to see Andrew model Mommy. He is watching. And so is Morgan. They both observe my reactions and responses, the way I handle conflict, the clothes I choose to wear, how I drive, the manners I use in public, the words I speak, the way I sing at church, how I eat, what I eat, the way I treat our possessions. Everything little thing that we do is noticed by our children, whether we realize it or not.
When I think on that popular verse from the Bible about training up your children (Proverbs 22:6), I've always interpreted it as something deliberate or planned. An activity or lesson, or some other kind of intended learning. But it's not just those intentional moments. We are leading by example every day in the choices we make. How are those choices honoring God? And what does that say to our kids now so they can learn and become older, wiser, God-honoring adults?
Knowing that we're not perfect, yet still loved by The One who made us, I also can accept the imitations that reflect poorly on my mothering. I'll overhear Morgan pretending, scolding, "Now how many times do I have to tell you?!" Or Andrew raising his voice to Morgan, thinking that shouting will actually resolve the conflict.
I know where they get it from. All of it, the good and the bad. And I am so thankful to be their teacher.
2 comments:
So true. So true. Just the other day, my Beth taught Caleb E. "Don't you dare!" Hmmm...wonder where's she heard that!
habits......
...they will be visited upon their children unto the third and fourth generations.....
what a reflection....
either good or bad
Post a Comment