the great outdoors


Spring has sprung, and we have been very productive over here. Believe it or not, we aren't just consumed with all things baby boy. Wanna see?

One of the first projects Scott wanted to tackle this Spring was replacing the rotten planter box around our front tree. Now, mind you, we've been advised by a certain double-degreed MSU graduate that this is unhealthy for our tree, and it will most likely cause a slow and painful death. But it sure looks nice, doesn't it? Painstakingly built to be perfectly square and level. And the hostas love it! Besides, how would you find our house without this landmark?





Here's a shot of my crowded garden, planted just yesterday. Come harvest time we'll have beefsteak, roma and cherry tomatoes, green peppers, yellow onions and carrots. The cucumbers, not seen here, are still waiting for a sunny home somewhere in the yard. I'm going to make an attempt at training them up a trellis in an effort to save space. We'll see how that turns out! I'd also like to find a place for leaf lettuce and cilantro, which the farmers at the market told me would be best from seed if I planted some every couple of weeks throughout the summer.



Scott is hesitant to give me any more of his green grass, so I'm trying to be creative in where I finish my planting. But I've been inspired by this great book (another little gem from our local library): You Grow Girl by Gayla Trail. Definitely not your grandmother's suburban gardener! If this gal can make things grow on a fire escape, then I should have no problems in our 80'x100' lot, right?

Now what would Spring be with all work and no play? Here's some shots of my new and improved outdoor girl on Memorial weekend. Contrary to last summer, Morgan is constantly asking to play outside. I never thought I'd see the day!









And to start the summer off with a bang, we've got a brand new addition in our back yard. When Morgan caught wind that a swing set was being assembled at her very own house, she was consumed with most of the build. She loves to be helpful, especially when it comes to Daddy and his tools.





Not waiting for the finished product.



Why won't this swing?



Finally able to try everything out!




What we had before... and the big after:


So June? Bring on the sunny skies and warm breezes. We're ready for you!

5 comments:

Joel said...

I don't recall making the comment about the tree out front. You guys should be fine. Its only when it gets a couple feet higher that it will pose a problem for the tree.

kelsey said...

Oh my goodness, if that comment isn't 100% Joel, I don't know what is! Love the new pictures Rach- Joel and I are missing you guys and sweet Morgan :)

*~Dani~* said...

I know nothing about trees and plants and planters, but I will say that looks awfully nice. And please dont ever remove it or we may never find your house again.

As for Morgan, she is a completely different person this summer. All those smiles! And what an upgrade on the swing set, I would be asking to play outside all of the time too!

Amanda said...

Yahooooooo for summer!

Christina said...

This post makes me so ready for the summer. Morgan continues to be adorable.



Free Counters