Gymnastics used to be a huge part of my sister's life. She started taking lessons when she was little, and it grew into a 16-20 hour a week commitment by the time she was in 8th grade. Sarah participated in meets all across the state as part of the United States Gymnastics Federation and was absolutely amazing. In high school she would walk away with all the honors, blowing girls out of the water who didn't have the same background.

I was always proud of Sarah's athletic talents because they were so different than mine. I participated in the team sport of basketball. Her individuality is what counted in gymnastics, and later, diving. Her sports required grace, patience, determination and dedication... all gifts that I wouldn't put at the top of my list.
When Sarah excelled in those things, I was sure to let everyone know she was my sister. It made me feel good to put her up on a pedestal, knowing she was too humble to stand in the spotlight that she deserved. I wanted her to be recognized.
And so today, I am sharing again just how awesome my little sister is.
Just over five hours after my post on Friday night, Sarah and Doug welcomed their son, Luke Douglas, into the world. Daddy Doug called at 12:45 a.m. and relayed the information:
Born around 11:15 p.m. on Friday, October 10.
Weighing in at 6 lbs, 8 ounces.
Measuring 20 inches long.
What Doug also shared was how Sarah powered through the pain to give birth. It was her intention to try delivery without an epidural. Progress was quite quick, however, and suddenly the option for relief was no longer there. With only two low level pain meds through an IV, she delivered Luke.

I was always proud of Sarah's athletic talents because they were so different than mine. I participated in the team sport of basketball. Her individuality is what counted in gymnastics, and later, diving. Her sports required grace, patience, determination and dedication... all gifts that I wouldn't put at the top of my list.
When Sarah excelled in those things, I was sure to let everyone know she was my sister. It made me feel good to put her up on a pedestal, knowing she was too humble to stand in the spotlight that she deserved. I wanted her to be recognized.
And so today, I am sharing again just how awesome my little sister is.
Just over five hours after my post on Friday night, Sarah and Doug welcomed their son, Luke Douglas, into the world. Daddy Doug called at 12:45 a.m. and relayed the information:
Born around 11:15 p.m. on Friday, October 10.
Weighing in at 6 lbs, 8 ounces.
Measuring 20 inches long.
What Doug also shared was how Sarah powered through the pain to give birth. It was her intention to try delivery without an epidural. Progress was quite quick, however, and suddenly the option for relief was no longer there. With only two low level pain meds through an IV, she delivered Luke.
When I think about all of the special gifts that God has given Sarah, it's no surprise to me that she was able to use them on Friday night. And I know that God has also given Doug special gifts of his very own... to absorb the emotions and pain of his wife, to hold her hand, to remain calm in the chaos.
Little Luke has arrived, and I can't wait to meet him. I am excited to see Doug as Daddy. But even more powerful to me right now is my sister. She is now a mother. And she is amazing.
6 comments:
Thanks, Rach, for posting the pictures. I've been returning to your blog again and again -- looking for that first photograph! Luke looks rather thoughtful, doesn't he? :)
Love,
Aunt Sue M.
What a beautiful boy! Thank you for posting a picture, Rachel. And enjoy being an aunt - it's a wonderful thing!
He's adorable! Congrats Auntie Rach!
Rachel, Doug and I both felt teary after reading this post. Granted emotions are high right now but your words are so very touching.
Rachel, Not only did you get to emotional Sarah, but I to have become quite emotional over your posting. What a writer you are - you too have a special gift- the gift of writing. Welcome to the world of Auntie hood you will definitely love it.
What a darling baby boy!
Post a Comment