so final, so fast

I just got off the phone with Sarah. Tonight she and Doug are checked into a Carolina hotel, ready to tackle the rest of the Miami road trip tomorrow and Sunday. And she decided to call her sister.

The last time we spoke, Sarah was feeling anxious about what was to come. It was nine days ago that the moving company arrived and began to pack up their things. She wasn't sure that day what to do... read a magazine at the kitchen table? Try to help? Instead she stepped outside and gave me a call, hoping to pass the awkward time. I don't think she really knew then how difficult it was going to be to say good-bye.

During our call tonight, Sarah mentioned how tough it was to walk away... from her job, her friends, and the roots she had planted. Over the last five years, she and Doug both embraced everything that DC had to offer. It suited them. While it was inevitable that November 2 would show up on the calendar, I'm not sure either of them could comprehend how it would feel and how quickly the day would arrive.

So they are on the road. The hard part is now over. And on Sunday afternoon they will be home.

1 comments:

Amanda said...

Moving stinks, especially far! I hope it went well!

No halloween post of the kiddie in the costume?



Free Counters